Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Wooden Toys

Ian Malcolm wrote:
Hi!

As a new grandfather, I would like to make wooden toys for my
grandson. Does anyone have any suggestions for suitable books or
internet sites for toy ideas and / or patterns?

If you just google "wooden toy plans" you'll find a zillion hits.

You might also think about games when he gets older. Dominos are
always a good bet--lots of things you can do with them besides play
the games. "Incra jig projects and techniques" will show you step by
step how to make both the dominos and a very nice box for them, and
the version of the jig that Rockler sells for 100 bucks will be fine
if you already have a router table. A good backgammon or chess set
can be an heirloom if you go in for carving or turning and intarsia.

While not toys, don't neglect furniture--a desk with a good solid top
that can be easily raised as he grows is something that he may not
appreciate until he's much older, but I wish that somebody had given
me one when I started first grade.

--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)