Posted to rec.woodworking
Frank Boettcher Frank Boettcher is offline

Default How much runout on TS is too much

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 10:29:16 -0700, Ed Bennett
wrote:

Some check the "factory"
alignment in a misguided (ignorant) attempt to judge the quality of
workmanship.

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner

An insulting and misleading statement. Leads the reader to consider
that there is no basis for quality judgement and comparison from the
alignment done on the assembly line by the manufacturer.

The truth is unless the component parts are just terrible, all saws
can be "set" to very close to zero at 90 degrees and I suspect that
most manufacturers have assembly procedures that achieve that using
rather sophisticated set up tools. I know one does at least. As the
blade is tilted, it is exactly the "quality of the workmanship" of the
component parts that determines the reading at 45 degrees and the
difference between the two figures is an excellent indicator of the
quality of workmanship when comparing different units. The flatter
the table, the more parallel the boss plane to the top, the flatter
the cabinet top plate plane, the more accurate the trunnion/brackets,
yoke assembly and arbor assembly, the closer that 45 degree figure
will stay to zero out of the box. While there are certain things you
can do to offset the tolerance stackup of some of those parts if
others are bad "you got what you got".

Frank