Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Silken bronze fastener?

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 15:57:41 -0700, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Low-silicon bronze. The guy had a bad accent. d8-)

Electrical properties (I'll let you figure this one out): Electrical
conductivity, volumetric, 12% IACS at 20 deg. C (68 F). Electrical
resistivity, 144 n-ohms-meter at 20 deg. C.

For comparison, here's the grade of copper used for high quality wi
Electrical conductivity, volumetric, annealed, 101% IACS at 20 deg. C (68
F). Electrical resistivity, 17.1 n-ohms-meter at 20 deg. C.

What this means is that the electrical conductivity of silicon bronze
sucks. It has about 1/5 of the conductivity of pure aluminum.

Okay, thanks Ed. He did say the local utility used them alot, although I
don't know if it was for electrical connections or not.

BTW, is that data you posted from an accessible website by any channce?
I'd like to look up brass for a comparison.

http://www.matweb.com/index.asp?ckck=1

Jon

--
Ned Simmons