Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default Silken bronze fastener?

"Jon Danniken" wrote in message
Howdy,

I needed some 1/4" bolts for an electrical connection, and as the fastener
store was out of 2" long brass bolts, I was sold something called "silken
bronze." According to the fellow behind the counter, they are 95% copper.

Now that I have them home, I can't find any reference to "silken bronze"
on the web, and would like to know a little more about them, including at
least a torque recommdation.

Anyone know what other name these might be called which would yield some
results?

Thanks for any tips,

Jon

Low-silicon bronze. The guy had a bad accent. d8-)

Electrical properties (I'll let you figure this one out): Electrical
conductivity, volumetric, 12% IACS at 20 deg. C (68 F). Electrical
resistivity, 144 n-ohms-meter at 20 deg. C.

For comparison, here's the grade of copper used for high quality wi
Electrical conductivity, volumetric, annealed, 101% IACS at 20 deg. C (68
F). Electrical resistivity, 17.1 n-ohms-meter at 20 deg. C.

What this means is that the electrical conductivity of silicon bronze sucks.
It has about 1/5 of the conductivity of pure aluminum.

--
Ed Huntress