Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default unimat, all-up

(DoN. Nichols) fired this volley in
:

According to Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com:
I just picked up a more-or-less complete Unimat -- just because.

How complete is "more or less complete" There is "complete" as
in "has what was sold as the base unit", or "compete" as in "has all
of the accessories which I picked up for it later.

Among the accessories there a

1) Flexible shaft tool (this I never had, so I list it first).

2) 4-jaw chuck.

3) Dividing head (with four different dividing index gears.

4) Collet closer nosepiece with a set of fractional collets.
(Look like the ER series except for being smaller and not having
the auto-extraction groove. (This is best used when you are
using it as a milling machine.)

5) Alternate spindle which accepts WW series collets, with a set
of metric collets and of inch collets. plus inside and outside
grip collets for thin workpieces (e.g. coins).

6) Sabre saw attachment.

7) Circular saw attachment.

8) Wood planer attachment.

9) Threading attachment, and many thread masters to use with it.
(An example of a really weird way to do threading. :-)

10) Alternate pulley plate to give two step speed increase or
decrease.

11) Sanding disc with sanding pads to glue on.

12-??) Lots of things which I don't remember.

I really don't have a use for it (yet), but for $50 including the
milling attachment and wooden case, it seemed too good a piece of
mathom-trash to pass up.

And how many here will understand "mathom"? :-)

I still use mine from time to time -- with four other lathes of
various sizes around the house.

You guys got any good hints on what to do with it, besides sell it to
you or admire it as a dust-collector?

I use mine for small wood cutting (circular saw attachment), and
for small turning (with the WW collet spindle), including things like
a setup to crown heads of screws which I make for things which are no
longer offered.

Enjoy,
DoN.

All-up as in all the parts are there and they work. There is a 4-jaw
chuck, there is a headstock Jacobs, there is a milling attachment.

And it all functions.

For that light a machine, I could cobble all the others pretty quickly
and easily.

LLoyd