Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Eeyore Eeyore is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense!Help needed!

Andy Hall wrote:

Eeyore said:
Andy Hall wrote:
Eeyore said:

I have no problem seeing why at least some expectation of reasonable
performance shouldn't be made of older ones, especially if accompanied by

grants to
help..

Of limited value. On older properties with 230mm solid walls,

A minority of properties.

There is still a very substantial stock in this category.

That's certainly true

a very large proportion of total heat produced goes out through the walls.
There is very little that can reasonably be done about that.

It can certainly be inproved, not least with new wall plasters believe it or
not. Dry lining can make serious improvements too.

The improvement is not substantial until one starts putting in a
reasonable thickness of insulation. This can be ameliorated to some
extent with materials such as Kingspan, but still involve issues such
as reduction in room size, how to handle window and door reveals
without making a pig's ear and redecorating etc. This is not trivial
for most people.

I agree. The reduction in size needn't be huge though. I'm thinking of doing this
*selectively* on some of my outside walls.

Graham