Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense!Helpneeded!

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
| Morris Dovey wrote:
|| Eeyore wrote:
||| Not going to happen in the USA is it ?
|| Good guess.
|
| Don't be so sure.
| First of all with an oilman in the seat of power, no. not yet.

Actually, I _am_ sure (not certain, but very confident it's so). I
think that Americans are willing to spend on solutions. Most are even
willing to spend perspiration on solutions. At the same time, fewer
and fewer Americans are willing to trust that anything promoted by
government is likely to be a 'solution' to any problem.

| Not until they work out that swingeing margins on more expensive
| fuel make just as much profit.

I don't think profit is as much a problem for most Americans as is the
perception of unfair/unjust business practice. No one likes to feel
that they've been taken unfair advantage of and Americans are no
different from anyone else in this regard.

| However is ultimately a PR thing: Hence Al Gore. If the thought gets
| stuck in the voters brain that paying $10 a gallon of gas is the
| way to stop their towns being devastated by storms, it might well
| be the that gets someone elected.

I don't think it'll play that way. I think that most towns would be
more devastated by $10/gal gas than by occasional storm damage. In
this area even tornados don't normally destroy entire communities the
way that kind of fuel cost would.

| And anyway OPEC and Bushanomics* is doing it for them. Except the
| money doesn't end up in the govt, it ends up in Q'ran toting islamic
| fundamentalists pockets instead.

Actually, Exxon /et al/ haven't done badly either. The fact of the
matter is that a lot of money is going to end up in the pockets of
whoever owns/produces the fuel, regardless of their particular belief
system.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar