Posted to sci.electronics.repair
jakdedert jakdedert is offline

Default Popping capacitors Who has post 2006 hardware with bad caps?

robb wrote:
"Arfa Daily" wrote in message
"robb" wrote in message
I replaced some buldging caps in my old cheapie MOBO
with nichicon equivalents and the board still runs great.

That said, there was a genuine issue a few years back where one

(or more ??)
of the major electrolytic manufacturers had a batch of 'fake'

electrolyte
swung across them, which resulted in hundreds of thousands of

substandard
caps appearing on the market, and finding their way onto

computer
motherboards, and failing after a relatively short period of

time.
Obviously, the mo-bo manufacturers thought that they were

buying full spec
caps, and the cap manufacturers thought that's what they were

selling, so
not a penny-pinching situation in that case.

Arfa

i just happened to find a bag of those buldging caps they were ?
LUXON ?
6.3v 105°

i don't know about the usual quality of LUXON caps though

robb

I just recapped the power supply of a Cyberhome DVD recorder
(manufactured 2005?). It's a pretty nice unit that I got for next to
nothing ($25). Two 2200 mf caps were bulged. The unit was exhibiting
lots of strange behaviors; display scrambled, erratic remote
operation...and finally complete failure to function at all.

OTOH, I expected all of this based on web research of the unit. This
particular unit (DVR 1600) has some pretty well-documented shortcomings.
It also has some pretty neat features, reasonable performance, and can
be had for a song.

In addition, I heatsinked the regulators on the board (one even had a
silkscreened outline of a heatsink on the board, but none installed),
and added a cooling fan. I think the fan might have been overkill--the
real problem being the result of only *10v* rating on the original caps,
but better safe.....

It's now working like a champ. I'd like to find a BIOS upgrade for it,
but I haven't located the download. Cyberhome is defunct--no factory
support--but reportedly there is a later version.

jak