Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Red vs. White Oak? Flat vs. Quarter Sawn -- for bench & paneling

"Charlie Self" wrote in message
On Oct 17, 8:06 am, "Swingman" wrote:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/MSB5.JPG

Love the style: what is that finish? It's great.

Thanks ... so did I.

That is nothing but one coat of Rockler "Mission Oak" gel stain, before the
topcoat of shellac. This particular stain, IIRC, is actually made for
Rockler by the Lawrence McFadden Company. It lately has become my stain of
choice, in place of fuming, for QSWO projects that I want to look more
"period". Just dark enough for my taste, probably too much for others.

Here is almost the same shot with an amber shellac top coat, yet to be
rubbed out ... camera flash sucks and brings out more "amber" than is
apparent in ambient light:

http://www.e-woodshop.net/images/MSB8.JPG

--
www.e-woodshop.net