Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wes[_2_] Wes[_2_] is offline

Default What would you consider the minimum effective boundaries for a bridgeport and a 12x36 lathe?

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:

It's regular 18" OC or 24" OC trusses? I would put doubler 2X4's on
the ceiling joist chord of the truss, and 1/2" Plywood "floor" for
your storage. Then you have a 7" space to stuff with R-19 fiberglass
insulation and face with drywall.

24" OC W trusses. Oh, you want the lowest part of truss, that part that
spans to top plates to be doubled. Then I put filler plywood across inside
the webs to make a deck?

And make sure the plywood notches for the roof joists are tight to
the edges, so you don't have mice getting under it. (DAMHIKT - I have
to redo the Storeroom ceiling...)

Mice are not cute little critters. They have ruined more than a few things
in my garage at times.

Use either a *vented* ceiling-mount Unit Heater (Modine "Hot Dawg"
or eq.) or a *vented* wall furnace, or a *vented* radiant tube heater
for a heat source. Note the word *vented*, that is the critical part.
Leave the thermostat set low to keep the condensation down when you
are not in there - 45-ish.

I'm all over that vented part. We put a hot dawg heater in moms woodshead
converted by 3 sliding doors, insulation and a bunch of skylights into her
greenhouse. Being able to go out there in the winter is likely adding years
to her life.

That looks like a 80% efficient unit.

Thanks,

Wes