Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default 10 HP Quincy compressor (finally found a fall project)

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Hmmm ... single stage! In my limited experience, the large compressors
have been 2 stage. Now that I think about it, 2 stage gives you higher
pressure, but single stage greater cfm (for same horsepower). I think.

No, absolutely not. A 2 Hp single-stage compressor delivers
about 6.4 CFM at 90 PSI. A 2 Hp two-stage compressor will
deliver 9 - 12 CFM at 175 PSI or so. Even after regulating down
to 90 PSI, it at least 50 % more air volume. This seems totally
counter-intuitive as regulating down from 175 to 90 PSI is
throwing away about half the energy.

Jon