Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger rigger is offline

Default Moving machines

On Oct 16, 7:38 pm, Bill Schwab wrote:
Albert,

snip discussion

Generally most lathes are very "headstock heavy" which is
very fortunate for someone removing one from a pallet.

If the overall weight of a lathe is, for example, 1000# it's
usually a simple matter to unbolt the lathe and, with the
help of a friend, manually swivel the lathe, bringing the
tailstock end around/over the side of the skid and set it
on the floor. This is accomplished by leaving one bolt
loose, but still through the machine and skid, and using
your lift to pickup/pull the tailstock end (unless you and
your friend are big, chunky, machinery mover types).

The bolt I'd leave loose normally would be on the head-
stock end of the machine closest to the front of the
machine. If you have 4 bolts rather than two on the
headstock end then I'd use the one at the front and
closest to the point of balance of the machine.

By keeping most of the weight on the pallet (headstock
end) and still somewhat fastened, you stabilize the mach-
ine, preventing it from twisting (which is the common
way to begin dropping such a machine).

Does this make sense to you?

dennis
in nca