Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ecnerwal Ecnerwal is offline

Default chainsaw sharpening help

In article GwmRi.158874$Fc.127327@attbi_s21,
"Old guy" wrote:

Is their really an advantage to using the Dremel or other power sharpener on
a chain? Can someone explain what it is?

The main advantage to using the non-Dremel (Large wheel with jig) type
of power sharpener (whether from Oregon or from HF) is that the jig
helps to even out tooth length - which helps things to cut straight when
you've munged 3-4 teeth on one side by clipping a rock or nail. It's
what the pro saw shop here uses to sharpen chains.

If you're patient, there's no reason you could not do the same with a
file and gauge of some sort. The jig/grinder setup makes it easier and
faster.

In the field, I use a file with every tank of gas, or sooner if it seems
to be needed. I swap chains if one gets munged too badly.

Power sharpening also has an advantage with carbide chains and diamond
sharpeners, but that's a whole 'nother level of spending.