Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Old guy Old guy is offline

Default chainsaw sharpening help

Is their really an advantage to using the Dremel or other power sharpener on
a chain? Can someone explain what it is?

It strikes me that it is REAL easy to remove too much metal, when all you
need is a light touch. And I prefer not to buy new chains until I have to.

I use a hand file on mine--takes about 3-5 minutes, and I'm back in
business. Seldom do I need to do more than 6 strokes per tooth to get it
sharp again.

Heck, I usually need a longer break from sawing than 3-5 minutes, so I have
a cup of coffee too.

Old Guy
Sadly, NOT turning in MN

"TomNie" wrote in message
Hey guys,
I got the HF chainsaw grinder that Mac recommended - still haven't used
it, but I got it :-) (and I got a 30 ton logsplitter yesterday).

Question: How are you grinding the flats?

I recently saw a Dremel with proprietary attachment but I don't have a
Dremel. I do have a Foredom carving kit.

I got a fantastic chain info site from an earlier post and I'm sure this
has been covered before so be patient. My computer crashed two weeks ago
and I lost everything (please, that's another story).

TomNie