Posted to rec.woodworking
Peter Huebner Peter Huebner is offline

Default Wooden Toys

In article ,
says...
Hi!

As a new grandfather, I would like to make wooden toys for my grandson. Does
anyone have any suggestions for suitable books or internet sites for toy
ideas and / or patterns?

TIA

Ian

About the best wooden toys I've ever seen ( and used, I got one of these sets
when I was about 3 y.o. and it was still in use when I was 10 or 12) are simply
wooden blocks and plates, with holes drilled and connected by wooden dowels
(some with heads) that I could use to build gazillions of my own wooden toys.

You make him a set of these (I suggest beech as a material, doesn't need
finishing) and he should get many miles out of it.

this webpage shows the principle:
http://www.nix-als-spielen.de/matador-klassik.htm
.... the one I had was a lot more primitive than that though. Well it was 50
years ago! The fact that they're still made and going strong suggests something
good to me.

Feel free to email me if you want a closer description of the basic parts. (see
message footer for address)

-P.