Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Temporary Tabletop

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:38:21 +0100, Chris
wrote:

I now have to make another for my daughter and I wonder if there is a
better lighter material.

Ideally a sort of MDF foam sandwich board that is cheap and could be
edged.

I know of an 8ft x 4ft table top (made as an overlay for an existing
table for when the whole tribe turns up once a year) made up of 2 x
6mm plywood sheets glued one to either side of a 1" thick sheet of
Kingspan (polyisocyanurate foam) of the same size . The aluminium
backing was pulled off the foam and it was glued to the ply with
Polyurethane adhesive. When set it was edged with Beech. The table
top was then finished and varnished. The result is a very rigid
lightweight table which is usually stored in the garage roof but is
easy to move around and which looks quite decent.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/