Posted to uk.d-i-y
Franko Franko is offline

Default Timed light switching query

"Owain" wrote in message
Franko wrote:
I think simplest way is to take a permanent live to a photocell, and use
the switched output from the photocell through a relay contact to the
lights. The relay coil operated by the switched output from the gates.

I think I can see what you mean in theory Owain but do you mean a
seperate relay switched by the photocell or a relay built into the
photocell ?

A separate relay. It sounds as though most photocells need a permanent
live to prevent them re-setting every time. The relay coil needs to be
energised by the gate so it isn't held on for long periods.

Please excuse my ignorance on this matter and could you explain in a
little more detail,

SL = switched live on photocell

Permanent L -------------- L (PHOTO) Relay
(CELL ) /
Permanent N ----------|--- N ( ) /
| |

relay coil

This has the additional advantage that the lights do not have to be