Posted to misc.consumers.house
Tim Smith Tim Smith is offline

Default Septic tank -- how often to pump?

In article ,
Stan Brown wrote:
The county health department says every 2 to 4 years, which seems
like an awfully long time to me. I know when I rented a house my
landlord had the tank pumped every year.

I'm one person, and the tank is 500 gallons. Any guidelines?

Presumably you had the tank pumped when you bought the house? What you
could do is pump it at two years, and then look at the report from the
pumper. That report should tell you the depth of the various layers,
and the amount of clear space you had. From that, you should be able to
figure out about how frequently you should need to have it pumped.

--
--Tim Smith