Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag Snag is offline

Default Logan Lathe parts ?

Snag wrote:
I got ham-handed and broke a casting tonight . It's the change gear
bracket , which carries the intermediate gears between the QC box and
the reversing gear . Logan's old part number is LA227 , new p/n is
LP1349 . Anybody out there got one they'd like to part with ? I'd
try to fix this one but it's already been broken and repaired once ,
right next to the place it broke tonight . I figgered it was just a matter
of time , but was surprised when if failed next to the old
repair . Change "snagnone" to "snagone" in my reply-to address if
you'd care to reply offlist .

Well , I may get lucky ... found one on ebay , might actually win the
auction . If not , I've figgered out how this one can be repaired (the part
that broke is the round section right at the base of the bottom bolt lug ).
This ebay link has a picture
http://cgi.ebay.com/LOGAN-LATHE-BANJ...QQcmdZViewItem .
I bolted it back together with a spacer in the slot , which holds the part
that broke off in proper alignment . I have ground it out nearly thru at the
break and intend to braze it with a nickel-silver rod (the older repair I
believe is a nickel based filler , grinds nicely without loading the disc ,
but no sparks) . Preheat and post heat so it doesn't warp or crack , build
up a nice fillet in the inside corner area where it's weakest , and bury it
in ashes or vermiculite to cool slowly .
Oh , and make a filler for that flat spot on the casting this mounts on .
Both breaks are in that unsupported area on the gearbox casting .
--

Snag aka OSG #1
'90 Ultra , "Strider"