Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Celtic Box progress

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:59:51 -0500, "Kate"
wrote:

Thank You Bill,
I have been eyeballing some Flexcut tools. I'm really glad to have your
recomendation.
Buying tools is always an investment and it's great to hear from someone who
has experience with a product.

I see that they make a micro carvint set as well, something I would be very
interested in.
Now here's the big question, what do you do to keep yours sharp?
Particularly the gouges and curved blades?

TIA

Kate

The flexcut tools come pre-sharpened and so far, I haven't had to do
anything but strop them with a leather strop and "Flexcut Gold"
stropping compound. My strop consists of an old (real) leather belt
section glued to a stick.

Some people use diamond sticks and ceramic sharpening sticks. I
picked up a Japanese water stone with various gouge shapes several
years ago and use this on occasion to touch up the edges. Some use a
power strop such as the one sold by flexcut.

Some of the Flexcut sets come with a strop, stropping compound and
shapes for conditioning the inner edges of the gouges.

There are many tools and methods of sharpening. I suggest thet you
Google "gouge sharpening" and "slipstones". That should point you to a
lot of good information. One good source of info and a very reputable
(sp?) on-line source isSmoky Mountain Woodcarvers at:

http://www.woodcarvers.com/sharpening.htm

Another fantastic source is your local woodcarving club (I'll bet that
there's one somewhere close to you). You might contact the National
Woodcarvers Association at: http://www.chipchats.org/ - Many clubs
are members and they may be able to point you to a local club.

HTH
Bill