Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Kate Kate is offline

Default Celtic box finished...

"Smaug Ichorfang" wrote in message
I may have missed it, what is the wood the box is made from? One source
I've found for everything from plain-jane to knock-your-socks-off is wooden
flooring. You can get narrow and wide widths, thin and thick. The only
thing that makes working with it tricky sometimes is that a lot of it is
laminated wood or plywood. Of course, you can use this as a "feature"
rather than an "bug".

The boxes I am making right now are from an OLD bookshelf. I believe it is
walnut. I was planning to restore it but it has been stored in pieces for
about 6 years now. It was badly damaged from someone's dog chewing the
bottom of it up.
I decided that it would be better to repurpose the wood than to try and
fight the shelf back into life.
On an up note though, the top of the shelf is a perfect match to another
antique shelf that I have already restored. I am planning to refinish it and
hang it above the bookshelf. It will look pretty custom when finished I
think.

I went looking for wood sources in my area and got a couple of leads. One
person mentioned cabinets shops. He said that their scraps might be a good
thing to use. I thought it was a great idea!

Kate