Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Affixing OSB to Ceiling Joists with (brad?) Nails

" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 16, 11:02 am, Mikepier wrote:
What is causing the ceiling damage? If this is a recurring thing, try
to get it resolved. Another option is to put an access door where the
problem is.

In this particular property the third floor is a an attic with a
standard stairwell so people commonly use it as a bedroom. Since it
is hot in the attic people tend to leave the windows open. The first
good multi-day rain or torrential downpour with a cross breeze and
enough water can blow in to ruin the ceiling below. Once there was a
cup on the windowsill and it collected well over an inch of water
during such a session (maybe 2). The floor is made out of 1" oak T&G
floor boards and the water just drips straight through. If I wanted
to fix the problem I could nail down plywood and then glue down
linoleum so that the water didn't pass through the floor... but then I
would be replacing linoleum instead of ceilings. In other properties
people overflow the toilet, don't pay for more fuel oil and let the
pipes burst, or stop up the tub with paper towels and turn it on full
blast before they leave the house after being evicted and then claim
vandals must have broken in and done it after they vacated. Sometimes
there's a roof leak but normally it's a man-made disaster.

I've seen these large oversized canvas window canopies that I think are
designed to prevent rain from entering. Maybe that will work for your
situation.