Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Leather vise jaws - glue, trimming

On Oct 16, 7:39 pm, Jay Pique wrote:
I took a look through Old Forge Hardware this past weekend and picked
up a piece of hide to line my vise jaws. The tag says "7/8 oz.
natural V-Cut Shoulder", and this stuff is about 1/8" thick and pretty
stiff. It's exactly what I was thinking of, but hadn't gotten around
to looking for it. It's amazing what you can find in that store -
it's worth stopping in if you're in the area.

IAE, I'm wondering what adhesive to use to laminate them to the hard
maple jaws. My inital thought was to use contact cement, in case I
ever wanted to remove it. But I don't want to have to worry about
creep, so I'm thinking of something a little stronger. Do you think
that plain old yellow glue would hold? I did a quick google and saw a
recommendation for wallpaper glue, but that was to hold desktop
leather. Maybe it would work for this too...

I'm not sure what would be creeping since there's really no load other
than every once in a while a huge force pushes it into closer
contact. Leather workers commonly use Barge Cement -
http://www.filmtools.com/bargecement.html

My plan is to leave the leather a little big and then trim it flush
with a router after it's glued. Sound reasonable?

Trim it with a razor knife. Save the art work for the work pieces!