Posted to rec.woodworking
Ferd Farkel Ferd Farkel is offline

Default How much runout on TS is too much

On Oct 16, 1:29 pm, Ed Bennett wrote:
On Oct 15, 10:13 pm, Ferd Farkel wrote:

Do any PM 66 owners here know the tolerances of their
saws? I aligned my humble Delta contractor's saw with
that jig, and it cuts easier than any 66 I've ever seen. I
think I got the blade parallel to the slot to within 0.002".

I don't happen to have a PM66 handy right now, but I'm very familiar
with it. It's a fine machine. I wouldn't mind trading in my Unisaw
for one. I wouldn't trade one for any contractor's saw. If it isn't
aligned properly, the best table saw can perform much worse than an
everyday humble contractor's saw. I know for a fact that there are a
lot of real cheap junkers out there outperforming high end cabinet
saws. Alignment does make a difference.

The 66 is a great machine, made for shops that turn
it on at 8 AM and off at 5.

When I look at comparative reviews of machinery, the first thing I
look for is a description of how the machine was prepared. Most
reviewers ignore alignment completely. Some check the "factory"
alignment in a misguided (ignorant) attempt to judge the quality of
workmanship. I don't think I've seen a reviewer pay attention to
setup and alignment since Kelly Mehler's table saw review in the April
2003 edition of Woodworker's Journal. You can't make valid
comparisons between two machines until they are both properly setup
and aligned. Glad to see that Kelly understood this - wish more did.

I aligned my Delta for safety, with the rear trunnion bolts upgraded
PALS brackets. Improved cut quality is a welcome side benefit.