Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default unimat, all-up

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:09:22 GMT, "David Merrill"
wrote:

Improvised tool post grinder for a larger lathe. Actually, the Unimat has
an accessory cup-type mounted grinding wheel for light grinding in the
Unimat itself.

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...ghlight=unimat

I've done a lot of small household repairs with mine over the years. It
machines wood, plastics and non-ferrous metals fairly well. Machining steel
is a pretty patient undertaking but can be done. Incidentally, drive belts
can still be obtained and I've had good luck with ordinary, large o-rings
(available locally from ball bearing suppliers) as drive belts.

I find that my "O" ring drive belts last a lot longer if I keep them
cool by leaving the safety cover open on my Unimat 3. Of course I
don't lean over the head stock with long hair dangling - I keep mine
short and plastered down.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada