Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
mac davis mac davis is offline

Default Celtic box finished...

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:53:13 -0500, "Kate" wrote:

Kristen LOVES it!
I took a picture of her with it, but it came out poorly.
I'll get another one soon and post her ugly mug with the box.

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, it really helped build
my confidence. I've already started on another one and had a young fella
offered to pay me to make one for him. He offered $50, I was thinking more
like $65 - $75.. what do ya'll think?

It's the old "slippery slope", Kate...
Value is what someone with the money in hand will pay for it...
Price is what you want to get for your creativity...
Sometimes, you get lucky and value and price are the same....

I don't think ART should be priced by your time and materials, because they're
not a factor..

I've have folks ask how long a bowl took to make..
2 of the answers I usually give, depending on the way they ask, a

60 years, if you don't count growing the tree...
A lot longer than it took them to make your plasma TV..

A couple of things to consider:
If this is a hobby that you enjoy, any sale that covers your expenses and maybe
buys a tool or 2 is great...
Sometimes selling at cost or even less to the right person is great
advertising...
Will the "fella" show it to people with an appreciation for your work?
Can you make a "deal" with him to not disclose the price that he paid?

IMO, a box or 2 in the living rooms or offices of the right folks will be LOTS
cheaper than most forms of advertising...

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing