Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Digital TV question

wrote:

SNIP HAPPENS:
Guys....
I have an ANTENNA. Out here on the farm, there are no cables !!!!
I wont even consider satellite tv for what it costs.
I just want to get some of the digital signals they are now sending.

To sort of answer my own question, I was at Walmart today and while
the wife was looking at clothes, I went back to the electronics dept.
They have several DVR/VCR combo units that say they are capable of
receiving digital tv. So, I guess that answers that. However, they
are quite pricey. The standard ones cost $50 to $100, while the
digital ones are just under $200 and up. Of course that's just
Walmart. I'll have to shop around.

Price will come down. Its a waiting and balancing game: How badly do you
want digital and / or HD RIGHT NOW vs. current price and how long are you
willing to go without digital and / or HD to get a lower price.

Remember what analog VHS VCRs cost when they first came out in
the (?) 70s - 80s?

Remember what video cameras used to cost?

Plain old DVD players used to be real expensive, too, now
you can get one or $50.00

Electronics prices always fall precipitously.

One other thing I noticed, they now sell DVD/VCR combo units that are
PLAY ONLY. They do not have a tuner at all. I have never seen such a
thing (not with the vcr).

Ya, everyone keeps saying vcrs are obsolete, but everyone still has
lots of tapes. I think the vcr will be used for many more years yet.
I no longer buy movies on tapes, but for a quick recording of
something off the air, a tape still seems the easiest. Then again, I
never have owned a DVR.

Thanks

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article om,
"Eric" wrote:

Because he read it at
http://www.dtv.gov/consumercorner.html?

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
wrote:

I know that soon we will all be forced to buy a convertor or else a
new tv, or we wont get anything on the older sets.

Really? How do you know that?

I see. So the OP is using a television antenna to receive his TV
programming?