Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Digital TV question

On Oct 16, 11:31 am, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 18:00:29 -0700, Smitty Two

wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 08:13:51 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

I haven't had my head in the sand, either. And I don't get my television
signal direct from the airwaves.

Your cable company is in as big a hurry to turn off analog as the
networks. Certainly they will be happy to rent you a box to output
NTSC but your "cable ready" stuff won't be "ready".
I understand Comcast has already done this in some places.

Yeah, maybe. The "sky is falling" crowd wears on me sometimes. So far I
haven't heard a peep from my cable company telling me they're about to
cut my luddite ass off. Why would they want to alienate their customer
base any more than they already do?

The cable company here hasn't changed what they make available on
analog (other than moving all the premium/PPV to digital).

Mark Lloydhttp://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."- Hide quoted text -

The basic local channels here with Cablevision in NYC area that have
been analog and that you can receive without a cable box haven't
changed in a long time. It's probably about 12 stations. That only
affects a small percentage of customers, because the vast majority
have a cable box so they can get the extra channels, premium channels,
ppv, etc. instead of just a dozen that come through without the box.
I think really, the only thing most use sets without a box here for is
to hook up an extra set somewhere, like by an excercise station, or
kitchen to watch the news.

When NTSC OTA air goes away, not sure what will happen with those
handful of basic analog cable channels that come in unencoded. The
cable company could still provide them or they could discontinue them,
which would force customers to get some kind of cable device, usually
a set top box from the cable company. But, I already have 2 of
those, so it;'s a non-issue for me.