Posted to alt.home.repair
Mark Lloyd Mark Lloyd is offline

Default Replacing electrical wall outlets...

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 02:57:29 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

I've lost 2 motherboards, 2 surge protectors and 2 VCRS, not at the same
time.

We had two severe thunderstorms about 2 weeks apart. We lost a total of 3
motherboards. In the second incident, a new motherboard was taken out.

How many of those systems had internal modems (some internal device
connected to a phoneline)?

That's convinced me to: 1) just buy a new computer than screw about with MB
replacement; and 2) get UPS for each computer.

And don't use internal modems.

The main risk to our
machines is now just the network cable. If we go wireless, we should be
safe from just about anything.

Yes, although wireless does have other significant disadvantages
(slower, less reliable, less secure... etc...).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.laughingsquid.com

"God was invented by man for a reason, that
reason is no longer applicable."