Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Kennedy Michael Kennedy is offline

Default Help with SMD Components

"Arfa Daily" wrote in message

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Oops.. typo in the second URL

it should be

http://onetechcomputers.com/ipod2.JPG

There are 'electrolytic' caps on that board in a format different from the
cans you are expecting, although they are probably actually solid
tantalums rather than traditional wet electrolytics. An example is the
black block marked "C224" at the bottom left of the first picture, and the
yellow "C114" at the bottom left of the second picture. Generally, I have
found this type of cap to be pretty reliable in this type of application.
Solid dielectric high value caps, don't suffer from the same physical
problems as wet types.

If it is a genuine electronic problem, I fear that it is unlikely that you
will ever get to the bottom of it, or if you do, be able to repair it. I
used to do a lot of small SM stuff like this in the form of Sony personal
minidisc players, and most of the intermittent problems came down to bad
BGA LSI 's (or the soldering under them) or bad thru' plated holes,
neither of which was realistically repairable in a 'traditional' workshop
environment.

It might be worth just checking that there is no problem with the battery
connections, the battery itself, or the charging / docking connector.
Beyond that, unless you can find something really obvious, I think that
the item is coming to the end of the line ...

Arfa

Arfa,

I think you are correct about the BGA joint. I found the unit works if I
place pressure on one of the BGA chips.. I may try heating it up with a heat
gun if I conclude that this is actully the chip causing the problem.