Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen David Hansen is offline

Default Timed light switching query

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:16:38 +0100 someone who may be "Franko"
wrote this:-

Hi all,
I installed a remote controlled automatic sliding gate last year which has a
240v output feed for a courtesy light which is latched on for approx 15
minutes after operation of the gate, either closing or opening.
I have bought myself a couple of bulkhead lights to connect up to this but
the missus wants them wired up so that they only operate during the hours of
darkness.
Can anyone please give me some advice as to the best possible way to do
this.

Connect the switched live for the courtesy light to a photocell, a
variety are available from the usual suppliers. Connect the output
of this to the lights.

You will need to work out what additional connections are needed for
your particular photocell. Certainly neutral and earth, but you may
also need a permanent live to the photocell.

Alternatively, bulkhead lights with built-in photocells are
available. These are wired up in the obvious way, the output of the
courtesy light is connected directly to the bulkhead lights.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh