Posted to alt.home.repair
Sean Sean is offline

Default Putting hardwood floor on top of hardwood floor

I had new 3/4" hardwoods put over top of old 3/4" hardwoods without a
problem. 3 different companies told me it was not a concern before I hired a
guy. Not sure what your salesman was saying that for.

"CompleteNewb" wrote in message
. ..
So a guy from Empire came out to do an estimate on either carpeting or
hardwooding our floor. He pulled up some of our existing carpet, saw that
it's a hardwood floor underneath (it's in pretty crappy looking shape;
before you suggest just finishing it, I do plan to try sanding, staining,
and polyurethaning a 2' square section, but I have no hope of it looking
like something we'd want to be our floor), and he said it's impossible to
put a hardwood floor down because there's already one there. He said if
we do a hardwood floor, we HAVE to tear up all the existing hardwood, and
that in doing that we would probably destroy the joists.

I went to the basement and looked at the ceiling, and it doesn't appear
that the hardwood floor upstairs is the same as the ceiling downstairs.
Downstairs as the ceiling, there are wide (around 12") wooden planks that
run diagonally, and the hardwood floor upstairs is thinner planks that run
straight, so it seems that the hardwood floor is nailed either into
subfloor or straight into those planks that comprise the ceiling of the
basement. So why would we be destroying the joists if we tore it up?

Now, I realize that if we DID put down a hardwood floor, we'd need to put
some kind of subflooring down first (maybe about 1/4"?), and that the room
we do would then have a higher floor than surrounding rooms (assuming we
didn't tear up the original floor first), but I don't see what this guy
was saying about how you just can't put hardwood down if there's hardwood
there already. I asked a couple handymen I know (they're not hardwood
floor installers, but they seem pretty savvy about house stuff overall),
and they said they can't imagine what the problem would be as long as
there's subfloor between the old hardwood and the new hardwood.

Are we all missing something?

Thanks for any help, details, thoughts, etc.