Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_2_] John Gilmer[_2_] is offline

Default Finishing inside of cabinets

Clean it out with water and household cleaner, dry quickly. Sand when
dry, vacuum out the dust. Wipe with denatured alcohol to degrease. Prime
bare spots. Two coats of alkyd semi should be very easy to clean, unless
the surface is extremely rough. Keep cabinet open and ventillate well
with fan. I waited a week when I painted inside kitchen cabinets, only
because of the weight of dishes stored there and didn't want them to
stick.

If you just want to "seal in" the odor, you can use a "sanding sealer" type
product. The type I'm talking about uses alcohol as a solvent. You can
sand (duh!) after putting on sanding sealer and then put on another coat for
odor control. The stuff dries very quickly.

If you want to cover a stain, the paint approach works too.