Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Help with SMD Components

"Michael Kennedy" wrote in message
Oops.. typo in the second URL

it should be

http://onetechcomputers.com/ipod2.JPG

There are 'electrolytic' caps on that board in a format different from the
cans you are expecting, although they are probably actually solid tantalums
rather than traditional wet electrolytics. An example is the black block
marked "C224" at the bottom left of the first picture, and the yellow "C114"
at the bottom left of the second picture. Generally, I have found this type
of cap to be pretty reliable in this type of application. Solid dielectric
high value caps, don't suffer from the same physical problems as wet types.

If it is a genuine electronic problem, I fear that it is unlikely that you
will ever get to the bottom of it, or if you do, be able to repair it. I
used to do a lot of small SM stuff like this in the form of Sony personal
minidisc players, and most of the intermittent problems came down to bad BGA
LSI 's (or the soldering under them) or bad thru' plated holes, neither of
which was realistically repairable in a 'traditional' workshop environment.

It might be worth just checking that there is no problem with the battery
connections, the battery itself, or the charging / docking connector. Beyond
that, unless you can find something really obvious, I think that the item is
coming to the end of the line ...

Arfa