Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair,alt.home.repair
Dennis Pogson Dennis Pogson is offline

Default Why did the professional camera reviewers totally miss a serious flaw in the camera?

Ron Hunter wrote:
Jeanette Guire wrote:
I'm curious why the following three camera reviewers totally missed
a very serious and obvious flaw in the Nikon Coolpix camera lineup.

The flaw is the infamous Nikon coolpix flimsy battery door latch
molded as a thin, easily broken loop of plastic on the coolpix
camera body. The fix has been described in various ways by various
users in other threads. The fix isn't the point of this thread.

DPREVIEW didn't even test camera integrity:
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikoncp3100/

DCRESOURCE totally missed the mark:
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ni...ix3100-review/

STEVE'S DIGICAMS was clueless:
http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...nikon3100.html

The question I am incensed about and very curious about is how could
the reviewers I trusted have been so inanely incompetent to have
totally missed the fact the camera would inevitably turn into a
brick due to the obvious poor engineering that wasn't visible to the
consumer but which should have been wholly obvious to the
"professional" camera reviewer?

Is it that the reviewers a
- Paid by the camera manufacturers to tout their products?
- Paid by the advertisers to tout the manufacturer's products?
- Clueless?

Most likely all three, but also because they just don't use the
cameras long enough to notice such potential weak points.

Yeah! I think in future reviewers should use the camera extensively for
around 3 years before writing a review. By that time the camera will have
been replaced about 5 times with newer models, so it won't matter if the
battery door fails. You can sell it on E-Bay with an elastic band round it,
pointing out that this is a design feature.

Dennis.