Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus1841 Ignoramus1841 is offline

Default What would you consider the minimum effective boundaries for a bridgeport and a 12x36 lathe?

Bridgeport manual specifies such area dimensions.

You can download Bridgeport manuals here

http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/Bridgeport/

On 2007-10-16, Brian Lawson wrote:
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 15:57:07 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Wes wrote:

I live in northern michigan where it gets a bit chilly at times. I have a
bridgeport and a Clausing 6903 12x36 lathe out in an uninsulated garage.

Since I store a bunch of light stuff up in the trusses, there is no way I
could ever insulate / drywall the whole garage along with just the cost of
heating the whole garage, so I'm thinking what if I drywall the ceiling over
the machining area, insulate the walls and ceiling in the area and put in
some partitions that I remove during the warmer times and buy some sort of
direct vented heating system that keep it warm that I could continue to play
this winter.

Thoughts on wall construction, heat source, and basic layout are very
welcome.

Thanks,

Wes

On the Bridgeport, 6' front to back, 15' to one side, 4' to the other .
On the lathe 6' front to back and 6' to the left of the head stock, 1'
to the right. The bridgeport long side space can overlap the lathe space
as long as the lathe is far enough back so that long stock on the
Bridgeport can clear the front of the lathe.

Hey Wes,

I think Pete's required floor spacing is pretty big. I sure don't
have that kind of space around any of my stuff. I have three lathes
and a Bridgeport and a surface grinder plus lots of benches and tools
in a 24 X 24. I have tool boxes etc on wheels that "crowd" the
machines, but which I can easily roll out of the way when I need to
use that space. But hey ........

Tell us a bit more about this garage. Concrete floor? How big is it?
Rafter height? Is it totally detached, or is some part of it already
protected by the house? What does it have for garage door(s), and for
walk-in access? Windows?

I just have a small 15,000 BTU natural gas un-powered "wall furnace",
set to 60 degrees, and it's real nice to work in. Ceiling fans running
24/7 help with a number of problems. I don't have it, but others
swear by natural gas or propane radiant heat.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.