Posted to alt.binaries.pictures.woodworking
Owen Lawrence Owen Lawrence is offline

Default Celtic box finished...

"Lee Michaels" wrote in message

"Kate" wrote in message
Kristen LOVES it!
I took a picture of her with it, but it came out poorly.
I'll get another one soon and post her ugly mug with the box.

Thanks to everyone for your words of encouragement, it really helped
build
my confidence. I've already started on another one and had a young fella
offered to pay me to make one for him. He offered $50, I was thinking
more
like $65 - $75.. what do ya'll think?

Very nice.

The price range you are proposing is for cheap imported junk.

Yours are much nicer and that should be reflected in the prices that you
charge.

Not all cheap imported stuff is junk. I was given a box by an Indian who
came here to Canada to take a high tech. course from us. He gave me a box
as a gift, and it was really hard wood intricately carved and well made. I
know he was not nearly as well paid as I am, so even though it was a gift I
believe I can assume it was not expensive. I'd be challenged to make a box
as good as that one.

If you're competing to sell in a market that includes goods produced by
masters willing to work cheaply, you're going to have a hard time getting
your price. So don't compete in that market. The world has LOTS of money,
and the people willing to part with more of it will take much better care of
the item you sell them at a premium price. What something is worth isn't
always what you'll get paid for it. It all depends on your value system.

If I were you, Kate, wanting to sell something, I'd try to sell at a price
that made me feel good (since I don't need the money I make from
woodworking). Sell for less and you demean yourself. Sell for more and
feel guilt every time you think about it. No thanks.

You really did a nice job on that box, and I've enjoyed watching your
progress here. Keep up the good work!

- Owen -