Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Arch Arch is offline

Default Turning - The Fuzzy Edges Form Of Woodworking?

Using labels to put the elements and variations of something into pigeon
holes is usually a first step in recognizing the relationships of parts
to the whole. This can result in progress, but I think divisive
descriptives can also be a misstep that can be counterproductive.

Separation of wood turning and wood sculpture into questionably distinct
efforts can inhibit our appreciation and best use of both ends of
woodturning's broad spectrum. On a larger OT scale, witness the problems
that separate federal departments can cause in dealing with
international terror.

Again OT, but comparable; I remember when the major effort in managing
psychiatric problems seemed to be concerned with labelling patients as
distinct clinical entities and assigning them to separate diagnostic
pigeon holes. That probably hindered true understanding that would have
led to better therapy for many sufferers. You could suffer from
schizophrenia or from manic depression, but like the old song advised,
they didn't "mess with Mr. In-between".

If woodturning and wood sculpturing had been restricted to separate
disciplines as some would have had us do, think of what we would have
lost. Making artistic and/or useful wooden shapes is a continuous
endeavor and wood turning isn't fenced off from wood sculpturing. I just
stopped in time to avoid saying, "and neither is turned craft fenced off
from turned art".

Turn to Safety, Arch
Fortiter