Posted to rec.woodworking
J T J T is offline

Default Suggestions for cuting board finish?

Mon, Oct 15, 2007, 8:30pm (EDT-3) (SonomaProducts.com)
doth claimeth:
All the informed literature says not to use any food oils, especially
nut oils. They will go rancid. That's what food oils. do.

And what "informed literature" would that be? I've experimented
with cooking oils as finishes for years. None of them got rancid. In
fact I once contacted a food science professor, and he told me that
cooking oils go rancid if they've been exposd to high heat, as in
cooking. As I type this, I'm sitting beside a rocking chair I made,
then finished with cooking oil, probably around 10 years ago, it's still
doing fine, still not rancid. I'd be interested in reading some of this
"informed literature".

JOAT
"I'm an Igor, thur. We don't athk quethtionth."
"Really? Why not?"
"I don't know, thur. I didn't athk."