Posted to rec.woodworking
The Davenport's The Davenport's is offline

Default How much runout on TS is too much

"Leon" wrote in message
. net...

"Joe AutoDrill" wrote in message
"RayV" wrote in message
Not being an avid woodworker or someone with much time using a table
saw... I'm guessing that unless this adversely affects the chances of a
kickback, it shouldn't cause any real problems...

Just thinking out loud - How many people do you know that measure wood to
.001" or so?

Good point, but to answer the question, NO ONE does that.

(raising hand in a grade school manner...) I do.

I will be the first to admit that I go overboard, but since I work to .0001
or so during the day, going to a .001 or so, doesn't seem like that big of a
stretch.

However the closer to perfect you get the blade to being parallel to the
fence or perpendicular to the miter slot the less sanding you have to do.
Typically I NEVER have to sand a ripped or mitered cut.

Absolutely...if you don't get the machine accurate, the part can NOT be
accurate without fiddling with something somewhere....easier to do it on the
first operation, I think.

You do not need fancy measuring equipment to set the saw up to make cuts
like that. For some the measuring equipment makes it easier. For some it
is an extra and unnecessary step. Results will tell you if the saw is set
up right or not.

Also very right...the finish of the ripped board is what counts...assuming
that you'll make an adjustment if the size is off, if the finish is there,
that's most of the battle.

Mike