Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default Moving machines

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:22:39 -0400, john
wrote:

A chain hoist properly fastened to the garage ceiling would make
unloading easy. A couple of tempory vertical columns on each side of
the ceiling attach point would hold 1000 lbs.

You are making some Really Huge Assumptions without knowing a single
thing about the structure you suggest be used as a lifting point. And
it's rash assumptions like that which get people hurt or killed, when
the building comes down on them.

I did not make any rash assumptions, I said a properly fastened hoist
with vertical columns would support a 1000 pound load.

But that's okay, we know you wouldn't dare try it yourself. But
it's real easy to make a Usenet posing for some other schlub to do it
at his house. ;-)

Now you are making assumptions. I move heavy parts every day with
weights up to over two tons. I have lifted many heavy machines with
temporary setups and never dropped any of them.

It might be doable IF there's a suitable heavy wood structural beam
(Say a 6"x16" supporting a set-back 2nd floor room) already right
where you need it...

and IF you can rig a suitable pick point fitting to spread the load
evenly from a lifting eye onto the beam...

Its only 1000 lb. not five ton.

and IF you can place lally columns to get that extra load down to
the floor with as short a span as possible...

and IF you can provide enough cribbing to spread the load out on the
garage floor slab - remember, there's no footings and if the sub-soil
wasn't compacted right or is water saturated a heavily loaded column
foot could punch right through. and if there is an abandoned mine shaft under the house and if a fault line had opened a fissure under the concrete and if it has rained for the past 40 days and the whole house is about to slide down the hill and if......

a heavily loaded column,,, 1000 lbs on two columns... that puts 500 lb.
on each post.
If the post is only four square inches in section, that would be about
125 lbs per sq inch hardly enough to punch through the concrete even
without using a bottom plate.

Concrete doesn't carry tension loads worth beans, and they don't
require much steel in a garage slab - might have one sheet of 1/8" x
6" x 6" welded wire if you're lucky, and that's nothing.

I though it was a garage... cars weigh a lot more than 1000 lbs.

Before I tried a trick like that, I'd invite my friend the Architect
and his wife the Civil Engineer over to take a look (I'd probably end
up buying dinner...) and make sure I was on the right track and not
overlooking something obvious. And potentially deadly.

Id make sure he or she has had a PE for at least 20 years, just to be
real safe, in fact come to think of it the machinery itself is not safe
to run so I would forget the whole idea.

John