Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What would you consider the minimum effective boundaries for abridgeport and a 12x36 lathe?

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote:

Psst! Gunner, one of those pipe-style radiant heaters running the
length of the carport would be a lot more efficient for a semi-open
area. It heats the people and the cats, not the air. Put one for
yourself on your Scrounging List.

Second this. Those things made it comfortable to work in a short sleeve
t-shirt right next to open loading dock doors in the New England winter.

And the flame is enclosed in the pipe and up near the ceiling, not
down on the deck where the spilled Gasoline Fumes live...

Another big bonus.

Propane or fuel oil? Mine run #2 Diesel (fuel oil is unavailable here)
or Kerosene at twice the price of diesel......

Go get a barrel of Red Dyed Diesel - no sense paying Road Use Taxes
on fuel that won't be used on the road...

Absolutely, and those taxes are significant.

Oh, and #2 Distillate Fuel Oil = #2 Diesel for all practical
purposes. I know of bunches of "fuel oil" burners (both common
flame-retention and steam-jet) happily running on Red #2 Diesel in
Southern California.

I ran my diesel generator from the regular 275 gal heating oil tank.
Never any issues.