Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] mattmeitzner@gmail.com is offline

Default Engineered wood floor in basement

Thank you RickH for actually providing guidance on the level-ness
required. To everyone else who mentioned moisture - I don't have ANY
moisture problems so far. The house is 10 yrs old and was equipped
when built with the Tuff-N-Dri system for waterproofing, which has a
30 year warranty. Even this past May when my part of NJ got 9 inches
of water in 36 hours, and my neighbors basements were flooded with 5"
of water, mine was bone-dry. It rained hard the other day and I did
the plastic-sheet duct-tape test, it came up dry too. The floor and
interior walls are already coated with a BEHR moisture-resistant
paint, but I plan to do another coat or two just to be safe, and
because there's half a gallon still in the pail. I'm also using the
Delta-FL as more of an insurance policy and to soften the floor
(plastic dimples HAVE to be softer than concrete), and I'm using
engineered hardwood specifically since it's pretty moisture
resistant. So I feel I'm pretty well covered on the water/moisture
side, which is why my main concern was really the even-ness of the
floor. So if anyone has another opinion on if the floor needs to be
leveled, or if the wood + underlayment will kind of self-correct,
thanks for those opinions/advice.