Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Andy Cuffe Andy Cuffe is offline

Default Bose Wave Radio

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:27:49 -0700, "
wrote:

I have a Wave Music System here that won't take CDs. This unit is
controllable only with a remote since there's no buttons on the radio
itself. I know the remote works because I've tried it with another
Wave Radio.

The eject button on the remote does nothing, neither does the "CD"
button. I thought there might be a CD stuck in the player, but there
doesn't appear to be. Strangely enough, pressing the CD or Eject
button causes absolutely nothing to happen, not even that little dot
lights up that normally does when an IR signal is hitting the unit.
But, I get a response on the VFD when I press CD or Eject with the
working radio even with no CD inserted. This seems like a logic
problem, but all other functions work so that seems unlikely. Anyone
familiar with these?

The current CD and non-CD radios both appear to be identical apart
from the lack of a CD slot (at least externally). It sounds like it
might think it's a non-CD radio. You would need the service manual to
find out what the difference between them is. There might be a
soldered jumper that tells it whether or not it's a CD radio, or the
micro controller might be different. If it's not detecting the CD
mechanism because of a bad cable, or failure of the CD mechanism, it
might go into non-CD mode. Have you tried resetting it by removing
the backup battery and leaving it unplugged over night?
Andy Cuffe