Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Default Bose Wave Radio

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
. ..
Asking for assistance with a Bose product is asking for trouble.

The Wave system (which I've heard) is a profoundly mediocre product sold
at
a premium price. This failure would be a good opportunity to listen around
for something better. You should be able to find a $200 "executive" system
at Costco with substantially better sound. It won't be a "single-piece"
system, but a single-piece system that delivered really good sound would
be
large and unwieldy.

I don't know why everyone has such a 'downer' on Bose products. I do a lot
of work for a Bose main dealer, so most of their product range crosses my
bench at some time or another - although I have not experienced the problem
that the OP is having with his Wave Radio, so am unfortunately unable to
offer any particularly constructive advice on it.

Although I would agree that their products carry a premium sale price, I
would have to say, purely from a service point of view, that they are well
built, and appear to use quality components and PCBs. They are also
thoughtfully designed from a mechanical dismantling angle, and their service
info and backup, if you are fortunate enough to have access to it, is second
to none, IMHO. What other manufacturer these days, for instance, has a
proper paper manual, with a full text description of how every sub-circuit
in the item works, full-sized fold out schematics which follow proper
schematic drawing principles and are thus a breeze to read, and have full
sized board layout diagrams from both sides, that are actually legible ?

I would also dispute that the Wave Radio is a "profoundly mediocre product".
Compared to any other portable or semi-portable that I have come across in
recent years, I think that the sound this little unit produces, is perfectly
stunning, both in overall quality, and spatial definition. So much so, in
fact, that I have on several occasions had visitors to my workshop comment
on how impressed they've been when they have listened to one that I've had
on soak test.

I don't know how much of it is 'emperor's new clothes syndrome', but most
Bose owners that I've spoken to seem to be well pleased with their systems
and what they cost them. Remember that proper Bose dealers have a listening
room where the products can be fully demonstrated, so it's not as though
purchasers of Bose equipment have been conned or fooled in any way by clever
sales banter. They have bought of their own free will, having listened,
played with, and decided exactly what product suited them, and with full
knowledge of what the purchase price was going to be. They could just as
easily have walked out and gone to Costco or wherever, and bought something
cheaper, had they have wanted to ...

Arfa