Posted to rec.woodworking
Ed Bennett Ed Bennett is offline

Default How much runout on TS is too much

On Oct 15, 9:47 am, "Leon" wrote:

Regardless of what kind of measuring equipment you use to set the saw up,
you have no control over the fact that most wood does not remain dead flat
or straight to the extent that those tiny measurements that you tweak you
saw to come in to effect. They help but often wood can warp as you cut it.
Wood often will move during the cut much more than the tolerances that you
are looking at and then every thing becomes a moot point.

This is very true. Most wood just can't hold these sorts of
tolerances. Even the heat generated by cutting will cause dimensional
changes on the order of 0.001". But, like you said previously, we're
not talking about working wood to within a few thousandths of an
inch. We're talking about aligning a machine. The goal here is to
make sure that the machine doesn't introduce additional problems
(beyond those inherent in the wood). You want to avoid having to
clean-up or re-work something that the machine could have done
correctly to begin with.

Wood does change dimensionally over time. So, the wise and skillful
woodworker will not to allow a lot of time between cutting and fitting
parts together. In other words, don't cut out all the parts one day
and then try to assemble them on another day - especially if you
expect the weather to change. Also, if you notice a board warping or
twisting during a rip cut, it's a very significant sign that the
particular piece of wood doesn't belong in your project. It was
improperly dried ("case hardened") and will be nothing but trouble if
you use it (reminds me of an armoire my brother made).

Or wait a little while and Ed will try to sell you an aligner that may or
may not help with the results of your cut.

There's a "definite maybe" if I've ever seen one! Spoken with true
conviction.

Hey! What's that sharp steel thing hanging out of my mouth? What
the?!?!? Heck Leon, are you fishing again? Geez! Can't a guy offer
some helpful assistance without getting trolled? I didn't suggest
that he buy anything. With regard to his setup I said: "That will do
the trick...". Is that what you Texas boys call the "hard sell"?

Ed Bennett

http://www.ts-aligner.com
Home of the TS-Aligner