Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Arnold Walker Arnold Walker is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense!Help needed!

"Arnold Walker" wrote in message

"Arnold Walker" wrote in message

"John Rumm" wrote in message
Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

You're lucky to get 9m/s anywhere never mind 12 ! About 5-6m/s in
much
of the South East from when I looked at it last week.
Which brings you power down to 5kW tops - so only a 140 year
payback...

A 5kW average for 24 hours a day delivers about 44000 kWhr per year
- Call it £4000 per year of electricity. I make that about 9 years,
long
but not too painful.

24 hrs a day, you would be lucky! I wonder what it costs to service a
£35k turbine?

Remember you also need to pay for grid capacity to cope with when there
is no (appropriate) wind.

Of course ,the difference in operating expense between the windmill in
question and hydroplant
You could run damless hydropower with ganged double acting rams for a
500ft head on the hydroelectric turbines.
And still come out better than that windmill.
Of course ,there might be a danger of drowning around a hydro electric
site .
Among other things, which might have lawyers opposed to your actions.
It is well known how disasterous water can be ,at times ,to public health
and safety.
So would not be surprised to find that there is an anti-water lobby
looking after our best interest in Washington.

--
Cheers,

John.

Maybe they glue silcon tiles like beta voltiacs all over the windmill to
make up for advertised capacity.
Or derate the wind capacity to real world numbers.....
Ad guys would not like to plug 5Kw power for 35K dollars ....but more
real.
A fellow might go to home depot and get a 5kw generator and convert it to
biomass gasification in a third
world country instead.After all we need to think about the windmill
companies bottom line here,instead of our own.
Or take a look at ChunKing Water Turbine Works Ltd. item at
http://www.utilitywarehouse.com/vnd/...drogenset.html .
and wonder which one is going to have a faster payback in the investment
from electricity sold on the grid.

Of course,there would also be a cogeneration product of municiple/irrigation
water
sold to area residents.If you were using ganged ram pumped storage to a 50
or 100 ft
tower or pond at that elevation above the final stage of a double acting
ram for that 500ft head
needed on your ChunKing turbine 200 Kw genset from the creek that you are
installed on.
Now I wonder ,if the government would grant me the same EV income tax credit
on a hydroelectric plant
as the combined total of all the EV's using my plant electricity.Since the
government is interested in green
power....plans to support green power to the best of their ability.Maybe
while we are at I could that credit on
my biomass steam that is already built and running .Or TXU could claim that
same credit on their coal plants
that is still built and running.Maybe even thier nuke plant as well could
get that EV tax credit.
Boy this sound like a boom to energy independence and green energy support
from the government.
Can smell that cleaner air already.....
Maybe we could all get grants for our energy ideas and research.
This could easily be better than Thomas Ellisons' work on the EV battery at
turn of the century.
Came out with a nickel -iron akeline battery to improve on the EV range of
lead acid batteries
in the early 1900's.Don't think the government gave him a EV tax credit or
grant either.