Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
geoff geoff is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years to repay...nonsense! Help needed!

In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"Jim" wrote in message
t...

"Eeyore" wrote in message

Mary Fisher wrote:

What struck me in particular was this paragraph:

"But the study from the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors shows
that some of the measures, such as solar panels to heat water, would
cost £5,000 to install but reduce average bills by only £24 a year and
would take about 208 years to pay back."

Ours cost us £2000 two years ago. Our gas bills (the only other
water heating we had) were reduced by almost £300 in the first year.

So you were paying OVER £300 a year for gas to provide hot water only ?
That's a
LOT of hot water.

Some people bathe quite a bit. Even when not necessary..... Or wear
clothes for one hour and wash the hell out of them!

Some hardly bathe at all, thus not spending much on gas. And some people
don't eat at home so don't need to wash dishes, pans etc.

And of course the price of gas differs from place to place, but that fact
might be a trifle obvious for someone determined to attempt being smart.

So how did you even manage to spend the amount you claim to have SAVED
on hot water in the first place ?

--
geoff