Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Moving machines

"DoN. Nichols" wrote:

And -- as always -- if something is starting to topple, *don't*
try to stop it, and warn all of your helpers to just get clear too.
Trying to stop it can lead to too much damage to people, instead of to
replaceable machines.

That is *the* most important rigging rule, and why I am typically leery
of having anyone assist me with any rigging project. Fortunately I don't
have any friends nearby (ditched them 1,700 miles away a few years back)
so it's not much of an issue. Of course I also have nobody to remove
stuff from on top of me if there were to be an "event" so it makes the
rule even more important.

Plan you lift before lifting anything, consider *every* possible failure
point (sling, chain, shackle, cribbing, etc.) and what would happen in
the event of that failure. Check clearances and plan escape routes. Much
easier to fix a machine than a person.