Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.solar.thermal,alt.energy.homepower
Steve O'Hara-Smith Steve O'Hara-Smith is offline

Default UK RICS report says solar takes 208 years torepay...nonsense!Help needed!

On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 23:43:32 +0100
John Rumm wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

Huge wrote:

This one is £35,000 installed.
http://www.energyenv.co.uk/WindPowerKits_20Kw.asp
Payback time; 35+ years. Waste of money.
Only if you get your 20kW - few places in the UK have a consistent wind
speed of 12m/sec or better.

You're lucky to get 9m/s anywhere never mind 12 ! About 5-6m/s in much
of the South East from when I looked at it last week.

Which brings you power down to 5kW tops - so only a 140 year payback...

A 5kW average for 24 hours a day delivers about 44000 kWhr per year
- Call it £4000 per year of electricity. I make that about 9 years, long
but not too painful.

Hmm looks at site - at 5-6m/s the power output of that thing is
close to non-existent! It rises sharply between about 9 and 15 m/s. It
looks like you need to be able to count on about 9 m/s to get that much
power, and at 11 m/s you'd be above 10Kw.

Still it only needs to make about 1.25kW to make that 35 year
payback

--
C:WIN | Directable Mirror Arrays